Wednesday, July 20, 2011

May Catch-Up...


I mentioned some special birthdays took place during my blog-absence.  One of the special days was a First!  We also happened to be traveling at the time, so we had to find a store bought cake to fit the occasion. 


I thought this one did it for us perfectly.  Girly, flowery, chocolatey and sprinkly!  We gave Sweet P. the opportunity to dig in, but she was much too polite.  So we cut a piece and let her get her hands into it that way.  It was very fun for all of us to celebrate her first year.  I think it was very meaningful even for Young Man.  You wouldn't normally expect a big brother to take so much interest in a little sibling, but he truly does.  It was very special for us indeed.



A first birthday at the beach.  In truth, hubby had to attend a meeting and we tagged along to enjoy a change of scenery and change of pace.  It was another first for Sweet P.  Wide sandy beaches and crashing waves were very interesting to her. 


Young Man knows exactly what to do in the waves.  He just now is beginning to enjoy the ocean.  I grew up in the ocean and bays and have always tried to share the love of the shore with him.  It's been a process.  We lived far from the ocean for the first part of his life, so he only got to visit the Eastern Shore waterways occasionally.  He did not at all enjoy the feeling the salt leaves on your skin after swimming and always wanted to swim in a pool.  Ugh.  I truly wanted him to love and appreciate the beauty of the water.  So without pressure, but lots of visits and participating in Coast Kids  programs, he has grown to truly love it now.  And it helps too that he's now big enough to stand those waves knocking him around. 


These little stickly gooey letters have been such a big hit around our house.  Since we had such a run on birthdays we've left it up for quite some time.  It's definitely time to come down now, but kids enjoy playing with these squishy letters so much.  I must make it disappear and let it resurface in the fall when we have another Big Day.


Oh the pleasure of solitude.  It's such a rare thing here, but so much enjoyed.  It's the kind of thing that cannot be anticipated at this station in my life, so when it happens it's a scrumptious, lovely, much welcomed thing!  I do love the hustle and bustle of noisy, busy-goings-on each day, but hey, give me a few minutes of alone time and I know just what to do.  This day in particular I just had a cup of tea and caught up on a pile of magazines that had been accumulating.


It just struck me how beautiful the colors are when so many little-people toys are lying about.  I'm usually quick to get everything in it's place, but this day it was comforting to look at all the colors and enjoy them where they were.


It's all those fun, bright colors that keep little hands so busy!


Yes, we also had Mother's Day in May.  My family gave me a coconut cream pie.  It's sort of a long running joke between Young Man and myself.  He always tries to find a way to tease me, so I let him in on how much I wanted a yummy coconut cream pie one day.  Ever since then, he brings that up to try to get to me.  So I told him he better learn to make one for me someday.  It's all in good fun.  I love joking with him.  Anywho, on Mother's Day he had his daddy buy a pie.  I was thrilled with the idea and enjoyed some coffee and crochet pattern browsing time.   Ahhhh.


Also, this summer I have given up the dining room table to the very important building of Legos.  I do love Legos.  This was a gift a very fortunate Young Man received and he studied and built for many hours, (with a little help), to build this robotic guy.  It was quite complex and actually walks around. 

 

This was Young Man's cake.  He really wanted a Roller Skating bday party this year.  Unfortunately, after breaking his arm roller skating was not an option.  So we celebrated quietly at home.  I don't believe kids need big parties each and every year.  I believe it's more important to celebrate with one's family.  We've had a few big kid-parties, but those memories stand out in a huge way when they're only once in a while.


And then there is rock hounding...  I must take this one on a rock hounding trip.  This was a kit he received as a gift and it was very much fun for him, but I know he would enjoy a real rock hounding experience at this age.  And I definitely believe in providing all the experiences one can for children growing-up.  You never know what gifts or talents or passions you might uncover.  Robotics?  Geology?  Cooking?  (You know, coconut pie)!  I would be happy with a chef in the family, lol...

So this is a long and rambling post, but it's my first attempt at catching up a bit and getting my thoughts in order.  Summer break has been moving way too fast.  It's good to look back and enjoy again.

See you soon with a very little crochet post!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments...