Thursday, July 19, 2012

Crochet Top for Girl


I call it Ice Cream Social.  It's the perfect shade of the Neapolitan ice cream that we often settle on here at the Hearth Room because none of us can agree on the over-the-top specific flavors that each of us desires and I will not cannot buy us all separate flavors each time I go to the store.


Social:  Because she is. 

Yes, Ice Cream Social.


This is the 'summer crochet' I mentioned in an earlier post.  I was working on this very light, little thing while we were having our power outage. 


The yarn is Paton's Grace which was found in my stash.  It has desperately been waiting to be used.
I used a G /6 hook.  (4.25mm). 


I started by making a basic granny square. 

For those that don't know how to make a granny, please try one!  Even if you don't want to make a top, just make a little square!

*******
ch 4, slip st to form ring.
ch 3, 2 dc in ring, ch 2, then (3 dc, ch 2) - three more times. 
Slip st in top of ch3 to join.

Ch 3, 2dc in the ch2 space you just joined, ch 2, 3 dc in same space.
((You are making your first corner))

[Ch 1, and in next ch 2 space make 3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc.]
Repeat from [ to] 2 more times to make your last 2 corners.
Ch 1 and join to top of first ch 3. 

You should now have a completed little square!
But you can go on:

Slip st in next dc, slip st in the first ch 2 space.  This is where you will start on each additional round.

Ch 3, 2 dc in the ch 2 space, ch 2, 3 dc.
Ch 1, 3 dc in next ch 2 space.
[Ch 1, and in next ch 2 space make 3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc.]  Corner made.
Ch 1, 3 dc in next ch 2 space, ch 1.

Continue around using from [ to  ] to make your corners and the simple
(ch 1, 3 dc in next ch 2 space, ch 1) for each ch 2 space in between your corners. 
Join each row with a slip stitch to the top of the first ch 3.

*******
I simply continued to make the granny square, changing colors as I felt and kept going until I felt the square was wide enough that when I joined 2 together it would fit one little Sweet P.  That ended up being 14 rounds with this particular yarn and hook.  She normally wears a 4T.

I slip stitched the front and back together and then added a few rows of single crochet border around the top and bottom to add length and contrasting color. 

I then added a little scalloped edging to both top and bottom edges. 



For the straps, I made a chain until I felt it was long enough and then went back with a row of dc and finished them off.  I again added scalloped edges to both sides in a contrast color and stitched them into the top. 


No real magic, nothing too fancy, just on a whim.

Another good use for yarn.

xoxo





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments...